March 22, 2010

Where I Work

Welcome to my world! This is where I work, play, eat, and create. I was lucky enough to get an Adjunct Teaching position at the same school where I received my MFA, and got to keep my studio. I don't know where I would have put it all if I didn't get to stay! So I've had this studio for almost 4 years now, and this is one of the more clean days. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I am messy, to put it nicely.

I figured not too many people may have ever visited a metalsmithing studio, so here's a tour of mine!
The bench!

My bench and table...lots of things stashed in every nook and cranny.

Movin' on up.

Remnants from the soldering demo I gave last Tuesday in class.

Bird's eye view...this is where the magic happens...the catch drawer is typically so full of junk that even if I do drop something in it, I may never find it again.

This is my favorite file.  I've had it since undergrad and even though it is extremely coarse and not very well taken care of, I love it.  It's not the typical nice German file, more like a cheap-o file that I've grown to love.

And here's a shot of me for good measure.
Over the past 4 years this has become a home away from home for me.  I have spent countless hours in this space and experienced every possible emotion here.  There were times when I hated coming here during grad school, and times I couldn't stand to leave, and I would not trade it for anything.  Knowing that my Adjunct Faculty appointment is coming to an end in a couple short months, I am beginning to dread having to pack everything up and find some way to set up a studio in my 20'x20' house.  It'll be a tight fit with me, Brandon, and Cinderella (my rockin' cat), but until we find a bigger place, or relocate for jobs, it will work.  I've got a desk and really bad lighting...and that's enough for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment