March 30, 2010

Day 8

Today, I continued with the wrapping technique, this time applying it directly to wire, not wrapping in any lint or wool.  I wanted to experiment with the playfulness of drawing with wire.  This is a new approach for me, because typically if I work with wire, I solder a structure and then apply whatever surface texture I choose...felt, flocking, patina, enamel.  This process was quite freeing simply because I had no predetermined idea as to what the final product would look like.  I took a length of copper wire, folded it in half, then started wrapping, folding the ends back on themselves and just playing with the negative space.  I think this could be the start of a more sellable body of work...there's not a lot of time or materials invested in it, and the price would be quite modest...probably under $20.00.  I'm getting excited just thinking of where this new direction will take me! 

Day 8
Ring
Copper, Rayon/Cotton Blend Thread
March 28, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment