April 7, 2010

Day 18

I've been getting a little burned out the past week or so using the same materials over and over again, day after day, so I decided to switch it up!  At least just a little bit.  I am still using the copper wire in this piece, but using another material to be bound.  I think the rubber tubing ring inspired me to look at synthetic materials that are typically thrown away.  I used a plastic bag today to create this ring.  I was interested in the transparent quality and the associations most people have with Ziploc bags.  I wanted to take this material which is so overproduced and discarded in our society, and give it a second use.  Plastic bags are designed for single use, and I am as guilty as the next person of tossing it in the trash once I've removed my lunch.  I have been trying to become more conscious of the materials I use and discard, and at least in this piece, I have saved one plastic bag from ending up in a landfill.  
 

Day 18
Ring
Copper, Plastic Bag
April 7, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment