May 11, 2010

Day 41- Day 51

So, I have been a bit lax in posting lately, but I am making up for it today!  This series of brooches is inspired by the matching brooches I made for my Mom and Grandmother for their award winning collaborative quilt, "Gloria's Garden."  The embroidered flowers were done by my Mom on her machine embroidery machine.  They are stitched onto water soluble stabilizer, and then the stabilizer is dissolved away, leaving a free standing embroidered flower.  I made the centers out of sterling silver.  They vary in size and complexity.  Each center piece has a domed silver disc soldered to a flat disc with individualized surface texture.    

Here's the fun part:  The embroidered flowers are interchangeable!  The sterling silver is the functioning part of the brooch, with a scatter pin holding it on the body, but the flowers can be changed whenever you want!  Color combinations are endless with the embroidered flowers, allowing you to change the brooch to match whatever you are wearing!  











Day 41- Day 51
Brooch Series
Sterling Silver, Embroidery Thread
April 29, 2010- May 10, 2010


2 comments:

  1. these are amazing! for sale??? ;) i need some more wearable art

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are for sale! I'm in the process of getting a website/paypal account up and running. They run between $25 and $40! I'm going to have all different colors of the flowers, and different centers that are interchangeable. They're very kid-friendly too!

    ReplyDelete